Saturday, November 22, 2014

Momma Bear

Addison's third birthday, as much as I can't believe it to be true, is in less than two months! Time flies...and it means that she will no longer receive services from First Steps. The plan after First Steps is to qualify for the Belton School Dist early childhood special education program. Having a diagnosis does not mean you are accepted. You have to be tested, observed, full out paperwork and attend meetings upon meetings to determine qualification and of what kind. This battle has been long and hard. My strength was tested, along with the patience. Addison has so many strengths, it's easy to look past her deficits and just see a beautiful girl full of vocab and smiles. If I would not have had some strong resources and knowledge in my corner, my daughter would have been left behind. 

Would have. 

That's right! Addison qualified for the school program and when she turns three in Janurary she will attend Grace! I was not giving up, even when it was expected that I didn't know our rights and could have easily taken things at face value and walked away...I stood, I fought, and we succeeded!

Mama Bear is a term I have so endearingly heard in these times from friends. Thank you to everyone who has listened to me vent these last few months, and those who gave me suggestions and encouragement. We did it!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment